Founder & Director
A native of Brisbane, Australia, Mishel grew up surrounded by dance, with her parents passing on their love of ballet and ballroom, however it wasn’t until her first trip to Rio de Janeiro in 2003 that she developed her passion for Brazilian dance.
Mishel has spent the past 15 years travelling back and forth to Rio, studying extensively under the guidance of Brazilian Samba Queens, developing exclusive business contacts with the Carnival industry and becoming fluent in Brazilian Portuguese. For the past 7 years she has conducted her Sambaliscious Rio Tours, which introduce foreigners to the magnificent city of Samba, culminating in a performance on a float as part of a samba school in the Rio Carnival parade.
In 2014, Mishel represented Australia as its very first Samba Queen of a float in the Rio Carnival, performing with Caprichosos de Pilares samba school, and followed with the role of Principal Destaque of the opening float for Paraiso do Tuitui in 2016. In 2017, Mishel performed as the very first Australian Muse in the history of Rio Carnival, performing on the Samba avenue in front of the first float of Rio’s oldest samba school, Estacio de Sa.
Mishel is the founder and producer of the Australasian Samba Queen Competition (Australia), the World Samba Congress and World Samba Queen Competition (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil).
Mishel has also studied other dance styles as Zouk Lambada, Samba de Gafieira, Flamenco, Salsa, Stiletto dance, Egyptian Belly dance and Hawaiian Hula, all of which have contributed to her very unique style. She has travelled the world and taught thousands of women to dance whilst inspiring them to be fit, healthy and confident. She is also a qualified Yoga instructor.
Mishel has a Bachelor of Languages and Linguistics, with a major in Japanese and minors in Spanish and French. She is a qualified English language instructor, and credits her university teacher training to helping her become an efficient, inspiring and vibrant dance instructor.
- Australia’s very first Samba Muse on the Samba avenue performing in the Rio Carnival, including live interviews with Brazilian TV channels and magazine feature articles
- Director of Australasian Samba Queen Competition, World Samba Congress + World Samba Queen Competition
- TV appearance on Channel 7 in “Anh Does Brazil”, teaching Anh Do how to Samba
- Official Rio Olympics (Brazil 2016) entertainment provider for Treasury Casino
- Official FIFA World Cup (Brazil 2014) entertainment provider for Brisbane Marketing
- Tour Director – Sambaliscious Carnival Tour – Rio de Janeiro
- Official judge and international instructor for the USA Samba King and Queen Competition (Phoenix, Arizona)
- Lululemon Brand Ambassador
- Event co-ordinator: Latin on Little Stanley Street and NRMA Dancing in the Street Festival – Southbank
- Brasil in Brisbane Workshop Series –
Co-ordination and sponsorship of dance workshop tours around Australia with renowned international Latin artists from Brazil, the Caribbean and Europe
- Guest Instructor, Performer, Choreographer and DJ for the Malaysian Salsa Festival,
Cairns/Townsville Latin Festivals
- Woodford Folk Festival
- Splendour in the Grass Festival
- Saideira Brazilian Festival